VSAN Observer is a slick way to display diagnostic statics not only around how the VSAN is performing but how the VM’s are as well.
Here are the commands I entered in my Home Lab to enable and disable the Observer.
Note: this is a diagnostic tool and should not be allowed to run for long periods of time as it will consume many GB of disk space. Ctrl+C will stop the collection
How to Start the collection….
- vCenter239:~ # rvc root@localhost << Logon into vCenter Server Appliance | Note you may have to enable SSH
- /localhost> cd /localhost/Home.Lab
- /localhost/Home.Lab> cd computers/Home.Lab.C1 << Navigate to your cluster | Mine Datacenter is Home.Lab, and cluster is Home.Lab.C1
- /localhost/Home.Lab/computers/Home.Lab.C1> vsan.observer ~/computers/Home.Lab.C1 –run-webserver –force << Enter this command to get things started, keep in mind double dashes “—” are used in front of run-webserver and force
- [2014-09-17 03:39:54] INFO WEBrick 1.3.1
- [2014-09-17 03:39:54] INFO ruby 1.9.2 (2011-07-09) [x86_64-linux]
- [2014-09-17 03:39:54] WARN TCPServer Error: Address already in use – bind(2)
- Press <Ctrl>+<C> to stop observing at any point ...[2014-09-17 03:39:54] INFO WEBrick::HTTPServer#start: pid=25461 port=8010 << Note the Port and that Ctrl+C to stop
- 2014-09-17 03:39:54 +0000: Collect one inventory snapshot
- Query VM properties: 0.05 sec
- Query Stats on 172.16.76.231: 0.65 sec (on ESX: 0.15, json size: 241KB)
- Query Stats on 172.16.76.233: 0.63 sec (on ESX: 0.15, json size: 241KB)
- Query Stats on 172.16.76.232: 0.68 sec (on ESX: 0.15, json size: 257KB)
- Query CMMDS from 172.16.76.231: 0.74 sec (json size: 133KB)
- 2014-09-17 03:40:15 +0000: Live-Processing inventory snapshot
- 2014-09-17 03:40:15 +0000: Collection took 20.77s, sleeping for 39.23s
- 2014-09-17 03:40:15 +0000: Press <Ctrl>+<C> to stop observing
How to stop the collection… Note: the collection has to be started and running to web statics as in the screenshots below
- ^C2014-09-17 03:40:26 +0000: Execution interrupted, wrapping up … << Control+C is entered and the observer goes into shutdown mode
- [2014-09-17 03:40:26] INFO going to shutdown …
- [2014-09-17 03:40:26] INFO WEBrick::HTTPServer#start done.
How to launch the web interface…
I used Firefox to logon to the web interface of VSAN Observer, IE didn’t seem to function correctly
Simply go to http://[IP of vCenter Server]:8010 Note: this is the port number noted above when starting and its http not https
So what does it look like and what is the purpose of each screen… Note: By Default the ‘? What am I looking at’ is not displayed, I expanded this view to enhance the description of the screenshot.