10Gbe NAS Home Lab: Part 8 Interconnecting MikroTik Switches
It’s been a long wait for Part 8 but I was able to release it today! If you are interested on how to network performance test your storage environment this session might help. The purpose of this session is to show how to interconnect two MikroTik switches and ensure their performance is optimal when compared to a single switch. The two NAS devices in this session have different physical capabilities and by no means is this a comparison of their performance. The results are merely data points. Users should work with their vendor of choice to ensure best performance and optimization.
10Gbe NAS Home Lab Part 7: Network testing with iperf3 on containers
In Part 7 I go over how I used iperf3 to test between my different NAS devices and Windows PCs. Each NAS device are running Docker and had a ubuntu container with iperf3 installed. If you want more information on how I setup the container check out my other post here.
Quick NAS Topics: Create your own iperf3 Docker Container
In this Quick NAS Topic video and the steps further below, I use docker to create a ubuntu container with Linux tools and iperf3.
This video is a supplement for the 10Gbe Home NAS Lab Part 7. In Part 7 I show how to use these containers to network performance test the 3 NAS devices I have.
- Create your own Docker Account – https://hub.docker.com/signup
- My Docker Repository – https://hub.docker.com/u/vmexplorer
- A Blog around using a Docker Image that has Iperf3 but limits you to server mode only.
Docker Ubuntu/iperf3 Basic Steps: Items in-between [ ] and the brackets should be removed
- On the NAS:
- Ensure devices can access the inet OR not covered in this blog, you’ll need to manually import and export images, etc.
- Ensure Docker-ce and if needed Shell-in-a-box and portainer are installed and basic configuration is done. The Synology didn’t need shell in a box or portainter
- Test Docker Install
- docker -v << Shows the version
- docker images << Show the images that are available
- docker ps << Shows the running containers
- Elevate local privileges to run docker commands
- It may be necessary to use ‘sudo’ in front of docker commands to get them to execute, followed by the admin/root password. Example: sudo docker ps
- Download and run Ubuntu
- docker pull ubuntu << Image is located here https://hub.docker.com/_/ubuntu
- docker run -it ubuntu bash << Creates an instance of this image for us to modify and opens up the terminal
- Update the Ubuntu running container
- apt-get -y update
- apt-get install iproute2
- apt-get install net-tools
- apt-get install iputils
- apt-get install iputils-ping
- apt-get install -y iperf3
- Test with ping and iperf3 -v
- Do not exit
- Commit and push the new image
- docker ps -l << Check for the latest running container, and note the Container ID of the container that was just updated with these steps
- docker commit [Container ID] [repository name]/[insert-container-name]
- docker images << will validate that the image is now there
- docker push [repository name]/[Container you want to push]
- Testing Steps
Quick NAS Topics Changing Storage Pool from RAID 1 to RAID5 with the Synology 1621+
In this not so Quick NAS topic I cover how to expand a RAID 1 volume and migrate it to a RAID 5 storage pool with the Synology 1621+. Along the way we find a disk that has some bad sectors, run an extended test and then finalize the migration.
** Products / Links Seen in this Video **
Synology DiskStation DS1621+ — https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/DS1621+
10Gbe NAS Home Lab Part 6 Initial Setup Synology 1621+
In this video I start to setup the DS1621+. I cover where to find the basic information on this NAS and its alignment to the VMware HCL. From there I demonstrate the initial setup of the DS1621+.
** URLS Seen in this Video **
Synology Products Compatibility List
10Gbe NAS Home Lab Part 2: Dissecting the Synology DiskStation DS1621+
In part 2 of this series I dissect the Synology DiskStation DS1621+. This is a pretty long video – best to watch it at 2x speed :) Note: This was a loaner unit and I do not recommend others doing this as it may void the warranty. I made this video to simply show others what the insides look like. Reach out if you have questions.
** PART Seen in this Video **
1x Synology 6 bay NAS DiskStation DS1621+ https://www.amazon.com/Synology-Bay-DiskStation-DS1621-Diskless/dp/B08HYQJJ62
2x Synology M.2 2280 NVMe SSD SNV3400 800GB https://www.amazon.com/Synology-2280-NVMe-SNV3400-800GB/dp/B08WLJYY76/
10Gbe NAS Home Lab Part 1: Parts Overview and Synology DS1621+
In this new video series I’ll be testing serval NAS products with in my NAS test lab.
My plan is to setup a new 10GBe network with 2 x Windows 10 PCs w/10gbe NICs, Laptops, Cell Phones, VMware ESXi and various other devices to see how they perform with the different NAS devices. Additionally, I’ll be going over the NAS devices and their software options too. A big part of my Home Network is the use of PLEX. Seeing how these devices handle PLEX and their other built in apps should make for some interesting content.
It all starts with this blog and in this initial video I go over some of the parts I’ve assembled for my NAS development lab. As the series progresses I plan to enhance the lab and how the devices interact with it.
** Advisement **
- 07/30/21: I am just starting to work with these components and set them up. Everything tells me they should work together. However, I have not tested them together.
- Any products that I blog/vblog about may or may not work – YOU ultimately assume all risk
** PARTS Seen in this Video **
- 1x Synology 6 bay NAS DiskStation DS1621+ https://www.amazon.com/Synology-Bay-DiskStation-DS1621-Diskless/dp/B08HYQJJ62
- 2x Synology M.2 2280 NVMe SSD SNV3400 800GB https://www.amazon.com/Synology-2280-NVMe-SNV3400-800GB/dp/B08WLJYY76/
- 1x Synology 10Gb Ethernet Adapter 2 SFP+ Ports (E10G21-F2), Black https://www.amazon.com/Synology-Ethernet-Adapter-Ports-E10G21-F2/dp/B08WLJQYL2
- 10x Cable Matters 5-Pack Snagless Short Cat6A (SSTP, SFTP) Shielded Ethernet Cable in Black 7 ft https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HEM5FEI
- 2x ASUS XG-C100C 10G Network Adapter Pci-E X4 Card with Single RJ-45 Port https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072N84DG6/
- 1x MikroTik 9-Port Desktop Switch, 1 Gigabit Ethernet Port, 8 SFP+ 10Gbps Ports (CRS309-1G-8S+IN) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NFXN4SS/
- 8x FLYPROFiber 10GBase-T SFP+ to RJ45 for MikroTik https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FXBFZP8/
- 10x HP 684517-001 TWINAX SFP+ 10GBE 0.5M DAC Cable Assy 611980001 4N6H4-01 https://www.ebay.com/itm/264745339079?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649