I’ve been lucky enough to make the past 6 VMworlds and to date this year was my favorite.
Here are some quick notes that a few colleges and I put together, I hope you enjoy it!
Quick Facts about VMworld
- 350 breakout sessions
- 70,000+ VM deployed (also a peek at vC Operations at scale)
- Over 23,000 attendees
Where to start? The best recap is this 11-minute full coverage Demo here. The entire video is 1.5 hours and is part of the Keynote presentation from day 2. Both VMworld General Sessions are available online as well, as are the top 10 sessions from VMworld (hint: click the ‘play’ button on the thumbnail image).
vCloud Suite Sphere 5.5:
vCloud Suite provides all components for building and running a private cloud infrastructure, based on VMware vSphere, that leverages the software-defined data center architecture. This architectural approach delivers virtualized infrastructure services (compute, network, security and availability) with built-in intelligence to automate the on-demand provisioning, placement, configuration and control of applications based on defined policies. vCloud Suite Datasheet
vCloud Suite 5.5 is composed of the following integrated products:
- VMware vSphere®: Compute virtualization platform with policy-based automation
- VMware vCenter™ Site Recovery Manager™: Automated disaster recovery planning, testing, and execution
- VMware vCloud Networking and Security™: Networking and security with ecosystem integration for a virtualized compute environment.
- VMware vCloud® Automation Center™: Self-service and policyenabled cloud service provisioning.
- VMware vCenter™ Operations Management Suite™:integrated, proactive performance, capacity, and configuration management for dynamic cloud environments.
- VMware vCloud Director®: Virtualized data centers with multitenancy and public cloud extensibility
-2x performance and scale improvements (including 64TB VMDK’s)
-Focus on application performance and availability with Big Data Extensions, improved App HA, vFLASH and drastic improvements to SRM including vSphere replication integration
-A whole host of other improvements further validating that the “Compute Layer” of VMware’s SDDC continues to extend its market leadership position
- vSphere 5.5 datasheet
- What’s new in vSphere 5.5
- vCloud Suite 5.5 clickable demos
- It’s all about the applications
- Big Data at VMworld
- vSphere Install, Config, Upg: http://bit.ly/11Qyp24
- Virtualizing Oracle, SQL, Exch, SAP: http://bit.ly/17rZOi8
- vCenter Orchestrator: http://bit.ly/14Q55Ae
- Free Efficiency Tools: http://bit.ly/Zs1dBW
- vSphere w/ Ops Management: http://bit.ly/ZrZtsw
- vCenter/vSphere Upgrades: http://bit.ly/17iPBSC
NSX and Network Virtualization:
-NSX does for the network what ESX did for compute: abstract, pool, make automation much easier. This is about agility and simplicity, and services, not the physical medium of the network.
-NSX is a bridging technology just like ESX. It sits on top of the physical Network and doesn’t replace it… just extends and makes it better.
- Introducing VMware NSX platform for network virtualization
- Introducing VMware NSX
- Changing the economics of Firewall services
vSAN and Storage Virtualization (beta announced)
-vSAN takes the local storage in a vSphere cluster and turns it into a big pool that can be used as any other target for storage resources.
- What’s new in vSphere 5.5 Storage
- Strategy for software defined storage
- vSAN Config: http://bit.ly/1fm5zOa
Hybrid Cloud Services (vCHS)
-Our long awaited and highly anticipated public cloud offering is live and available.
-Additional Data Centers in California and Virginia will be coming on-line to compliment the DC in Las Vegas.
-New service offerings such as Cloud Foundry, Desktop as a Service and DR as a Service were announced.
- Hybrid Cloud Services at VMworld
- Now available VMware Hybrid Cloud Services
- vCloud Hybrid Service marketplace
IT Business Management Suite
suite has to be one of the most exciting and least talked about component of the latest releases. Datasheet
- IT Financial Management
- Business Managment for Cloud (Opportunity Cost including AWS, Azure, and vCHS)
- IT Benchmarking
- Service Quality Management
- IT Business Management Suite: http://bit.ly/XXrSVk
End User Computing:
- End user computing meets the Software defined datacenter full session
- EUC Strategy with new DaaS offering (Desktop as a Service)
- Why I am excited about EUC (blog post by Sanjay Poonen, EVP and GM, End-User Computing, VMware)
- First Smart phone available on all major US carriers to launch VMware mobile virtualization solution
- Next generation virtual desktop as a service
- New VMware ready devices
- vFabric: http://bit.ly/16bQEHn
- vCenter Log Insight: http://bit.ly/17HrIHz
- Professional Services: http://bit.ly/10Dh7o7
- For Hosting Providers: http://bit.ly/11b4GQv
- Compliance: http://bit.ly/140ZPqt
- vCOPS Install & Config: http://bit.ly/18BpLtS
- vCOPS Post Install Settings: http://bit.ly/14yGAH5
- Customer Stories: http://bit.ly/15zzIUp
New Services and Certifications
– New Certifications are available for cloud (VCA-Cloud), data center virtualization (VCA-DCV), and network virtualization (VCA-NV), these certifications offer a new credential to validate entry-level skills VMware Certified Associate before progressing on to the VMware Certified Professional (VCP) certifications.
VMworld Wrap up
VMware Unveils Next-Generation Products and Services to Further Enable the Software-Defined Data Center
VMware Delivers vCloud(R) Hybrid Service(TM)
VMware and Pivotal Expand Strategic Partnership
VMware Cloud Management Helps Drive Adoption of Software-Defined Data Center Architecture
Get all of the news at VMworld TV